Professor Raj Chetty and his colleagues are looking to hire full-time research assistants in economics for the next academic year, and we’d like to communicate the opportunity to Bachelors or Masters students graduating from your department this year who might be interested. Job posting is attached here. SIEPR_RA_2016.pdf
Join us for our Fall Campus Day open house at U of T St. George on October 17, 2015. This isn’t just another campus tour! You’ll have a chance to see what you can study, take a residence tour, sit in on information sessions, meet professors and students from all around U of T and learn more about life outside the classroom. Register today and let us know you’re coming at:
Events run from 9:30AM until 4PM — stay for the whole day or just come for the sessions & tours that you’re interested in.
When you arrive, you’ll be able to pick up a program with a map and a schedule of the day’s events.
And check-in with one of our volunteers to let them know you’ve arrived — you’ll be entered into a draw to win a U of T prize pack!
* Graduate and Professional Faculties at U of T St. George
Many graduate faculties at U of T will be represented at Fall Campus Day. You’ll have
an opportunity to speak with staff, faculty and students in areas like medicine,
education, law, social work, nursing, medical radiation sciences, pharmacy and physician assistant.
* Undergraduate Faculties at U of T St. George
Each of our five undergraduate faculties, as well as our student life & support programs,
have events and programming planned for Fall Campus Day. The faculties will offer tours
and info sessions so you can become more familiar with their unique academic programs and offerings.
Representatives from U of T Mississauga and U of T Scarborough will also be on hand to
provide information about their campuses, opportunities and unique programs.
The Department of Economics invites you to a public lecture next week:
“The Media and the State: Historical Evidence from US Newspapers”
Thursday, October 15th, 4:30-6:00pm
George Ignatieff Theater, 15 Devonshire Place
Jesse Shapiro (and his co-author, Matthew Gentzkow) have done some very interesting,
and innovative research on the role of the media in the political process.
Jesse is going to be presenting a summary of this work at the public lecture.
You are most welcome to attend.
The Malim Harding lecture series is an annual event that alternates between
the Departments of Economics and Political Science.
The Economics Students Association (ESA) is hosting a Professional Development workshop session: http://www.esauoft.ca/event/pdworkshop
Location: ES B149, 33 Wilcocks Street, Toronto
The MFE Program Officer and Second Year MFE Students will share insights in understanding competencies which students build up during their undergraduate degrees ad how they can be applied to job and career success. Additionally, MFE students will share factors they looked at when applying to graduate economics/finance programs, their personal stories with job searching and recruiting, and what factors made them successful in securing their internship and full-time offers.
Winter/Spring 2016 Volunteer Trade Assistants Program opportunities at the U.S. Commercial Service in Toronto (for interested University of Toronto students)
The U.S. Commercial Service Volunteer Trade Assistants Program offers unique training and mentorship opportunities with our team of experienced Trade Specialists in the fields of international marketing and business during the Winter/Spring 2016, six month internships only. Selected students will also receive the benefit of mid-term reviews of their progress and end-of-term evaluations and a letter of reference based upon performance at completion of their program tenure. Canadian citizens, Canada Permanent Residents, and International Students with the appropriate study and work permits are eligible to apply. After a brief orientation period, participants will receive intensive career development training as they become involved with our programs and services to better experience the complexities of international trade. They will also assist with pre-defined projects relating to U.S./Canada trade development, including Commercial Diplomacy and Foreign Direct Investment projects. Trade Assistants’ work assignments shall, to the maximum extent possible, provide an appropriate educational experience for them. Applicants may be recent graduates who are seeking business experience prior to gaining permanent paid employment; or they may be undergraduates who are currently enrolled and held in good academic standing in a post-secondary educational institution at the time of application. Please note that this is a volunteer training program, no remuneration is offered. For more information please see the word document or contact: Bojan Opsenica Investment Specialist U.S. Consulate General Toronto U.S. Department of Commerce | International Trade Administration (416) 595-5412 x224 Bojan.Opsenica@trade.gov <mailto:Bojan.Opsenica@trade.gov> | www.selectusa.gov October-2015-Winter-Spring-Internship-Program.doc
The PRMIA Organizing Team is pleased to notify that registration is now open for all undergraduate and graduate-level students and would like to invite your students to participate. Last year’s event welcomed 97 teams representing 378 students from 35 colleges/universities across Canada, the United States and Europe, and we anticipate that the 2016 event will be even larger. Team registration can be made at: http://www.prmia.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1 &id=6689
What is the PRMIA Risk Management Challenge?
* Case competition giving students the opportunity to solve realistic business problems with a risk management focus, allowing participants to experience the challenges they may face as risk professionals or consultants
* Teams of 3-4 members; competition is open for Graduate and Under-Graduate students currently enrolled at the time of registration; team registration deadline: December 24th, 2015 at 12:00(Noon) CST * The Ontario Regional Championships will be held on January 29, 2016 at The Ontario Investment and Trade Centre (250 Yonge St., 35th Floor, Toronto, ON)
* Regional Champions will compete at the International Championships in Chicago, IL; US $9,700 cash prize awarded to the winning team How is the Competition Structured? The Challenge begins in early January with the Preliminary Round, which is conducted online. The top teams from that round are chosen to advance to the Regional competitions which will take place in: •Chicago •Edmonton •Ireland •London •Montreal •New York •Russia •Toronto •Vancouver The winners of the Regional Round will then travel to Chicago, IL in the United States to compete in the International Championship round of competition on March 11, 2016 Highlights of the 2015 Ontario Regional Championships (Toronto):
* Industry discussion panel featuring leaders from TD Asset Management, Manulife Asset Management, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, and Deloitte * Career workshop with Boston Consulting Group
* Networking with recruiters and managers from leading financial institutions
* Judging panel comprised of senior risk managers and C-level executives from TD, RBC, OMERS, OSFI, and AIMA
* Keynote speaker: Lynn Patterson – Deputy Governor, Bank of Canada For more information about the PRMIA Risk Management Challenge, please contact Radu Dragomir at firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> or visit the Ontario competition page via http://www.prmia.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1 &id=6689 Kind regards, Radu Dragomir Co-Organizer 2016 PRMIA Risk Management Challenge
The Emerging Leaders for Solar Energy (ELSE), an affiliate of the Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA) is hosting an event on Wednesday, October 14 – a debate on Climate Change and Renewable Energy in Federal Politics, featuring Jim Harris, the former Leader of the Green Party. More details and registration can be found at the link below, and the event poster is attached. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/else-presents-a-debate-on-climate-change-and-ren ewable-energy-in-federal-politics-tickets-18815983112